- The Alabama State Board of Public Accountancy is considered a two-tier state. That means an Exam Candidate may pass the CPA examination and still receive a CPA certificate but not a permit/license to practice.
- All CPAs are required to document their work experience before being issued a permit/license to practice.
- For details on the work experience requirements read Accountancy Rule 30-X-5-.06, Continuing Professional Education, Annual Permits To Practice And Experience.
To document work experience, the CPA must request a letter of experience from his or her current employer(s) or previous employer(s). The letter must contain the following information:
- Addressed to J. Lamar Harris, CPA, Executive Director
- Date of the letter
- Hire date (mm/dd/yyyy)
- End date (mm/dd/yyyy) or to the present date
- Job title
- Job description
- Full-time or Part-time
- Signature of supervisor (if no supervisor, HR personnel)
- Required to be on company letterhead
If you have any questions concerning work experience, please contact Teresa Taylor by e-mail or by phone at 334-242-5700 (In-State WATS 1-800-435-9743).